Re: OEM bushings

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997 VWcrazyTim@aol.com wrote:

> Okay gang, with all this talk about installing poly bushings into your front
> control arms, this raises a question from me about STOCK rubber ones.  How
> can you tell when it is time to replace your bushings?  My car has somewhere
> well over 100k on it, and I can assure you that I still have the orriginal
> bushings in there (last ower did nothing in the was of maintinance on this
> car)

The stock rubber bushing will last a VERY LONG TIME! Look at the bushing
and if it is shot, usually the rubber "lip" on either side of the control
arm (front bushing) will be worn away.

If the bushings are worn, there will be some fore/aft play and deflection
under braking. People convert to the poly bushings to avoid even a slight
deflection and to alter suspension geomentry. If you want NO deflection,
get the aluminum bushings! (real rock crushers!) I would NOT suggest the
alum. bushings!

Harry