Re: Windshield repairs?

At 11:51 12/29/97 -0800, you wrote:

>	This morning on my way to work a big truck carrying gravel pulled up in
>the lane next to mine.  Before I could switch lanes, the inevitable
>happened even as I was saying "no, no, no..." - a good sized rock flew
>out of the truck and onto my (previously) perfect windshield.  I've now
>got a little chip in it, which fortunately doesn't penetrate all the way
>through, but is incredibly annoying since it's about eye-level.
>	I've never been to or know much about windshield repair shops, but is
>this the best option, short of replacing the whole damn thing?  What do
>they do, melt the glass around the chipped part and add new glass?
>Hopefully my insurance will cover it, otherwise I've got the truck's
>license number, hehe.
>
>Thanks
>
>Tim
>'88 Scirocco 16v Red

My insurer (Safeco) offers free repairs for chips like this, and has an 800
number to call. Perhaps your company offers something similar?

I fixed the '75's windshield that had a nasty bulls-eye crack with a Loctite
kit I got at the hardware stroe. Cost me $10. The repair is not perfect, but
is much better than before.

The kit is a liquid something like Super Glue in a syringe. You pull back on
the syringe to make a vacuum in the crack, then let it snap back to drive
the fluid into the crack. When it hardens, it makes the crack invisble and
seals it to keep moisture out. Check it out!

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (Katy's car now)
'58 Ghia Convert