brake problem

Hi!
I have a Scirocco GTI from 1982 (european modell). I rebuild the brakes
last summer and have changed everything except the calipers in front. I did
the rebuild due to weak braking and the result after the rebuild is even
worse brakes. For instance the rear brakes do not even lock the wheels and
the wheels can be turned by hand. I have not changed the power unit (or
what ever it is called). But I have tested it by braking and start the
engine. I then feel the assistance from the power unit.

In Sweden we have a annual check of all cars by the traffic safety
department (bilprovning in swedish) and the car passed this check without
any problems. So the brakes are not completely bad, but bad enough for me.

I feel pretty desperate, please can anyone help me!

Best regards,
Peter Dahlqvist (Sweden)