Re: springs

At 4:27 PM +0000 12/28/1997, Ryan Schuermann wrote:
>speaking of springs..what brand will give me a 2" drop and still be
>stiff enough not to bounce all over the place, still using the stock
>struts as they are perfectly fine for the minimal use this car sees.
>
>Ryan

Problem is, with the stock shocks and a stiff spring, you'll wind up with
the bounce - the bounce is a result of insufficent damping(or a spring that
is too stiff for the shock).  When the spring compresses & releases, the
shock does not have enough rebound damping, boing...bounce.  Could also be
related to bumpstops - most seem to be made of rubber, which does not damp
itself well - it stores energy, then releasing it, in a sense making the
spring stiffer from the viewpoint of the shock.  A low spring which is soft
enough to not overpower the shock will undoubtedly engage the bumpstops,
resulting in the bounce, too.  IMHO, additional damping is somewhat
necessary when using stiff springs - you can get away with stock shocks and
lowering springs, but even then, it seems to get bouncy.  Only ridden in
lowered cars with stock shocks - never owned one, but they all seem to ride
the same from my perspective - like crap.  The shocks might be "perfectly
fine" with the stock springs, but I'd bet they would show their limitations
when mated to a lowering spring, especially a stiff one.  YMMV, IMHO, etc...

I.Mannix(again, if looks are all you're after, great, I'll shut up.....:)