Re: BMW NUMBERS [Non-Scirocco]

>Mmmmm, no, the 325s have sixes - AFAIK, BMWs numbers are something like
>this - first number (3, 5, 7, 8) is the series, other two are the
>displacement - I was under the impression that the 325 was 2.5 liters.

Okay- I knew I was going to get into some trouble on this one.
Yes, Iain, you're right... the numbering usually works that way.  There are
exceptions, though.

	The 325e that your friend had was actually a 2.8 liter.  It had a 4500rpm
redline with a 5k limiter.  BMW used this engine in the 528 and 528e, and
in the three series, as a plain 325 for a couple of years, and as a 325e
for a couple of years.  The 325i had the new 2.5l inline 6 with the high
redline (around 7k).
	I like the 2.8, personally, because it has gobs & gobs of low-end torque,
but most prefer the high end scream of the 2.5.

	BMW's cars as of late have basically abandoned the numbering system, for
marketing reasons.  The new ones are something like this:
	316i	1.6l 4-cyl
	318i	1.9l 4-cyl
	320i	2.0l 6-cyl
	323i	2.5l 6-cyl (US)
	328i	2.8l 6-cyl (US)

5 series is the 520,523, and 528, plus:
	535i	3.5l 8-cyl (US)
	540i	4.4l 8-cyl (US)

7 series also offers the
	750i	5.4l V12   (US)

	I think those are all correct... but this *is* a Scirocco list. There's
always the BMW site if you really care...
			Jason