[Just a story]

SHEEET.

I went to Cedar Rapids today (Iowa) to hunt down rocco parts. It was quite
depressing, and I must say that the old VW's I see are beat to hell in
comparison to US cars of the same age...what's the deal???

One dealer in the area, who sells only used VW's had this beat up white
rocco, looked to be an 86 or so marked for 1500. I almost choked. The
headlight housings were the only ones not cracked or busted out.

Later, down the street, I go to a salvage yard, and find an 83, in what
looked to be great shape before the event that brought it to the yard.
Repainted in original tornado red, a cool steering wheel with "SCIROCCO"
emblazened in red, a VDO oil temp gauge. A true find in this area. All
door locks, NO rust on anything, rear lights in wonderful shape, a rear
deck lid WITH straps. I swiped the rear bumper cover which I needed, and
looks kinda funny in contrast to my flash red paint...but hey, better than
bare metal showing!

The sad part was, this 83 with 89K on it looked as though it had been run
straight into a tree. After lifting up the back deck lid, I found 2
partially empty bottles of wine.  Truly a shame, a fucking shame.

~C

     Christopher Mende             ICEMT         O: 515-294-6738
     www.icemt.iastate.edu           @           F: 515-294-5531
     bayern.me.iastate.edu    Iowa State Univ    H: 515-292-6658