[race] Re: autocrossers

---pete&marcia <marpete@eskimo.com> wrote:

> What is the single best piece of advice you can give someone who
want's
> faster times. As far as technique.

Well, the best advise I can pass on which was passed on to me as far
as technique goes is;

     1.)  Don't rush into the corners.  In other words you are much
better off entering the corner slower than entering it too hot.  Enter
slower=smoother, and accelerate on the way out at the apex.  You will
loose much more time if you have to overbrake 1/4 way into the corner
thereby going offline, than if you took it easy in and fast out.  [The
advice of I. Mannix passed on to me awhile ago]

     2.)  RELAX

     3.)  Look down track, train your eyes to look ahead so the corner
you are in is more of a reflex smooth motion while plotting the next
turn/slalom you see ahead of you.  Kinda like Chess.  Think ahead.
You may want to take a less than ideal line for a given corner, to be
on the best line for a faster corner.

     4.)  RELAX

     5.)  Use the track.  Run out damn close to the cones 'if need be'
to keep you transitions/online movement smooth.  (i.e. watch a Formula
1 race, note how they use burms/runnoffs as part of the road/line)
[as pointed out to Meze & relayed to me via Shawn when he had a pro
ride with him]

     6.)  Smoother=faster

I am still a Novice, but the above seem to help me, wheather it is on
an Auto-X coarse, Malibu GP (Potterman still owes us beers & nachos
Shawn :-) ), or driving the lines through my development at the wee
hours while the wife radios me via headset if there is any traffic or
cops entering the vicinity :-) )  So I am guilty of knowing the lines
around my neighborhood/way to work....

I gave credit where due above, Iain & Shawn were a great help in
learnin me.  And special thanks to Shawn and Potterman for letting me
Auto-X their Scirocco;s when I was in San Diego.

==
-Paul
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan
90 Audi 90 Quattro 20v