Re: autocrossers

pete&marcia wrote:

> What is the single best piece of advice you can give someone who want's
> faster times. As far as technique.
>
>                   Andy
>             '79 1.9 '80 1.8 ROCCO'S

Well there are different tiers of technique, and to be fast you must
master the basics (correct driving position, hand position, driving
lines, early apex, late apex, etc.).  Beyond that, the technique that
has taken me to the next level has been left foot braking.  Other than
that, the biggest mistake I see in newer autocrossers' technique is
this:  Spending WAY too much time between full acceleration and full
braking.  Drivers that simply don't put the pedal down long enough, and
then undermodulate their brakes.  After doing some fooling around in my
car with straight line acceleration and braking I was amazed how much I
was under-driving my car.  Hope this helps.  A good video to check at
the library is Autocrossing with Dick Turner.

Jim Buck,
ES #99
1997 Solo II Points Champion,
E-Stock Champion,