Re: Interesting bit o' trivia

In a message dated 97-12-16 23:22:00 EST, stoopid@idirect.com writes:

<< Interesting stuff, this.  Anyone ever seen one of these badboys?  And
 what exactly is an engine skid plate?  Is it to somehow protect the
 oilpan from being battered during a rally or something? >>

I have one.  It did come on the "Sidewinder" edition AKA "Champagne Edition"
78's .  It's not a skidplate like you find on a 4x4. It consists of flat steel
bar material, running front to back, which bolts on to the bottom of the
block(didn't you ever wonder what those two big unused bolt holes where for on
the bottom front of the block?).  It alternates with a bar and then a space,
bar, space... It protects the oil pan from those occasional non-blacktop
excursions.  It has saved my pan on several occasions.  Once when I drove the
car into a high curb, and how many times have you gotten too close to those
wheel stops in a parking lot.  When I lowered the car then it became even more
useful.  I've since taken it off because it's just too low when I'm under the
car and I don't go near wheel stops anymore(I'll take my chances).  I did have
to mod. it when I put in my lower stress bar.  So it's kind of hacked up.
Don't know what other years VW put them on.

-dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner
http://members.aol.com/SailingFC/