Re: Clutches....

At 8:53 PM -0500 12/17/1997, Shawn C Meze wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:42:11 -0600 David LeDeaux <das@runt.net> writes:
>>Speaking of clutches....  my little rocco-in-tha-worx needs a new clutch
>>before I put it on the road.  I have an '80, which I believe has a 190
>mm
>>clutch.  What all would I need to replace to put in a 210 mm clutch...
>if
>>that's even possible and/or worth it?
>

>Just get a 210mm flywheel, then get a 210mm pressure plate/disk and your
>all set. Don't forget new flywheel and PP bolts.
>I happen to have the SACHS 2.0L clutch in my Scirocco but many speak of
>using the 16V pressure plate and 8V disc as a good performance combo. I
>don't know which one would offer more over the other but im sure somebody
>will be able to tell us which is which.

I agree - I don't know which is better, I am sure someone knows.  This is
the one thing I have done to my car(16vPP) that was based on the
recommendations of the magazines/common beliefs which I actually like/have
not changed(lowering springs, race springs, Bosch is the only ignition
component, etc) - I've found that for autocross, a lot of the "performance"
modifications are not quite up to snuff in Solo land - but the 16vpp is a
good one.  I could get better hookup from a sport disc, maybe a
lighter(rotating mass) setup, but this one works just fine - and I am happy
with it.  I doubt the 2.0 8v setup is bad - I'd guess it is equal in the
real world - the 16v pp is better on paper, being the stock parts for an
engine with more power, but would I notice if I had the 2.0 stuff?  Nah.
Kevin is using 190mm on his Scirocco(right?  Or is it 200, Wenzez?), and it
seems to work just fine - his car is equal to mine in acceleration/speed,
so I'd guess it is making similar power, and his does not slip a bit, so,
I'd say that 210 is probably _better_ on paper, but the 190 is pretty
capable as it sits.  If you have a 210 flywheel, or cheap access to one,
why not - but if cash is a concern, and your engine is otherwise
stock/normal modifications, I doubt you'd ever notice the smaller flywheel.
Arguably, the 190 is better from an acceleration standpoint - it should be
lighter, it is somewhat smaller, so if it does not slip, I'd bet it is
(incrementally) better.  Best of luck!

I.Mannix