Re: Fighting The Law

At 13:40 12/15/97 -0600, you wrote:

>In a case of mine I was wrongly identified by airplane, doing a speed
>faster than what I was actually doing. My 86 grey jetta was confused with
>a honda accord. Blasphemy! The lady driving the car looked at me in horror
>as she drove past the little trap the state patrol has setup -- she knew,
>cause she passed me a minute earlier.
>
>I took it to court, and both officers AND the pilot showed up. Damn. The
>first officer INCORRECTLY testified that he gave me the ticket at
>4.30_AM_, someone circled the wrong daytime on the ticket. I later pointed
>this out, and also forced the fact that people MAKE MISTAKES.
>
>Not sure hat happened after that. THe original ticket was written for 10
>over, the state moved to prosecute me for the supposed 15 over the limit.
>The judge more or less told me that it was my word against the three
>officers, but realized that while he couldn't absolve me, he could make
>my punishment less than the punishment happy procecutor! He moved the
>charge to 9 over the limit, which looked better on my record, and to the
>insurance company... 3 years is extreme, and there are unfortunately many
>local cops in such small towns that are just assholes to anyone passing
>through... I'd place my bets that the judge would be less interested in
>severe punishment....
>
>~C
>|shannon fenton wrote:
>|>
>|> I dont mean to add any more fuel to the fire but I seem to remember
>|> reading in  Consumer Reports article that the Scirocco 16V reached max HP at
>|> 4250. In a personal matter I usually shift at 5200 or 5600 when running it
>|> hard so the tach never drops below 3000, when my car feels like its really
>|> making power. On a related matter I recently got a speeding ticket this
>|> weekend and will lose my license for 3 years, but my friends are advising me
>|> to fight it. Although I was clearly in the wrong, 60 in a 25 coming into
>|> one of those Iowa towns that by the time you downshift youre already
>|> through it. But my father and girlfriends father both beat speeding tickets
>|> that I think they were in the wrong. I dont want to clog up the courts with
>|> more frivolus cases but three years is a long time. What do you guys think.

In Illinois, the cop must be 500 feet downstream from the speed limit sign
he is using. If he is upstream of it, he gets a reading of you doing the
PREVIOUS speed limit.

If you know a lawyer, this would be a good time to talk to him/her...

I got a ticket for 'drag racing' in my '67 when I let the testosterone get
out of control while trying to pass a woman in a Grand Pricks. She sped up
when it was apparent I would pass her, and the cop saw it as a 'race'. I
asked a friend who is an attorney to go to court with me, and he managed to
talk it down to 20 over speeding. $150 fine, but for dragging, they pull
your license for a year here...Had to rebuild the door locks in his Jetta
for his fee...I figure I got off cheap!

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (Katy's car now)