Re: Scirocco-1 Rally car???

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Edward Wahl wrote:

> Just wondered with all the IT-x Scirocco 1's out there, if one couldn't
> strip one down, weld in a bunch of stiffeners, drop in a 2 liter, and
> have a blast.  1's run about $1500 in my area, IF free of rust.
> Engines are unlimited to 2.0L and NO forced induction, other than that....
>
> Perhaps the body still wouldn't be stiff enough?

Ron Wood (I think, can't remember very clearly) was running a Mk 1 as
recently as a year ago in California.  You could probably make anything
stiff enough if you tore it down and reinforced and rewelded every
available seam, but I think that there are better cars available for
rallying (the A2 8v GTI springs to mind).  You can rally just about
anything - if it won't break, it'll work.

Kevin Wenzel
1981 VW Scirocco S (w/1.8 JH) - DSP #81 (Blix)
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC
http://www.privateI.com/