Re: Fighting The Law

In a case of mine I was wrongly identified by airplane, doing a speed
faster than what I was actually doing. My 86 grey jetta was confused with
a honda accord. Blasphemy! The lady driving the car looked at me in horror
as she drove past the little trap the state patrol has setup -- she knew,
cause she passed me a minute earlier.

I took it to court, and both officers AND the pilot showed up. Damn. The
first officer INCORRECTLY testified that he gave me the ticket at
4.30_AM_, someone circled the wrong daytime on the ticket. I later pointed
this out, and also forced the fact that people MAKE MISTAKES.

Not sure hat happened after that. THe original ticket was written for 10
over, the state moved to prosecute me for the supposed 15 over the limit.
The judge more or less told me that it was my word against the three
officers, but realized that while he couldn't absolve me, he could make
my punishment less than the punishment happy procecutor! He moved the
charge to 9 over the limit, which looked better on my record, and to the
insurance company... 3 years is extreme, and there are unfortunately many
local cops in such small towns that are just assholes to anyone passing
through... I'd place my bets that the judge would be less interested in
severe punishment....

~C

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Jason Brunberg wrote:

|shannon fenton wrote:
|>
|> I dont mean to add any more fuel to the fire but I seem to remember
|> reading in  Consumer Reports article that the Scirocco 16V reached max HP at
|> 4250. In a personal matter I usually shift at 5200 or 5600 when running it
|> hard so the tach never drops below 3000, when my car feels like its really
|> making power. On a related matter I recently got a speeding ticket this
|> weekend and will lose my license for 3 years, but my friends are advising me
|> to fight it. Although I was clearly in the wrong, 60 in a 25 coming into
|> one of those Iowa towns that by the time you downshift youre already
|> through it. But my father and girlfriends father both beat speeding tickets
|> that I think they were in the wrong. I dont want to clog up the courts with
|> more frivolus cases but three years is a long time. What do you guys think.
|
|	3 years???  Fight it for sure!  I was involved in an accident in 92 and
|was partly at fault cuz I was doing twice the speed limit (ooops), but
|the goob that I hit (a teacher at my school) turned left in front of
|me.  So even though I was in the wrong for speeding, I still had the
|right of way.
|
|	My point is, there is always some way of explaining your actions and
|coming up with some plausible reason for speeding like that.  Look for
|any kind of loopholes that might be available to you.  Did the cop clock
|you or was he trying to match your speed?  By the looks of it, he
|clocked you.  Did he reset the radar gun according to specs?  If so,
|when in court, would he please be so kind as to describe how the gun is
|reset?  If he can't, then there is a good chance that he didn't know
|when he clocked you, and there's a good chance that he didn't measure
|your speed accurately.  I don't know what kind of radar is in use in
|Iowa, or even in Toronto where I am, so whether or not such an argument
|will work is up to you to find out.
|
|	Look for precedents in a case similar to yours.  Do you know any
|lawyers?  If so, see if it's possible to gain access to prior court
|proceedings of this nature.  Are you in school?  Do you _need_ the car
|to properly operate in society?  Are you a law-abiding citizen?  Lots of
|tickets?  Take all of this into account, and make sure that when you do
|eventually go to court, you remove any kind of earrings and facial
|jewellery and shave off your goatee if it's scruffy....Basically, look
|like the kid that everyone wishes was there own.
|	If you do it right, you can get away with murder...check out my buddy
|Orenthal.  He had money, but if you got the smarts and the desire, the
|case is yours.  Best of luck to ya.
|
|jason
|the mad bastard
|
|(just waiting for the day that I gets busted racing on the street...you
|can just imagine the fight I'll be putting up)
|--
|To subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to scirocco-L-request@privateI.com,
|with your request (subscribe, unsubscribe) in the BODY of the message.

     Christopher Mende             ICEMT         O: 515-294-6738
     www.icemt.iastate.edu           @           F: 515-294-5531
     bayern.me.iastate.edu    Iowa State Univ    H: 515-292-6658