dealership service

>>I strongly urge you NOT to take your car to this dealer for anything,
>>I don't know for sure if they are jerks or not,
>
>	.... or, as per *my* wonderful experience, you can spend months forming an
>elaborate relationship with your small local VW shop and JUST when you
>finally start to trust them.... they GET YOU.  Bastards.  :@
>
>			Jason the disappointed.

I got my mounts and timing belt done at the dealer and the mechanic was
competent and the price was more than fair. I stood beside him for 3
hours to watch since it was the first time he's touched my car-he has an
85 GTI which he races and so he knows and appreciates older VWs. It was
apparent after a few hours that he was knew A1s forward and backward (a 5
year VW apprenticeship probably didnt hurt either). Ifg your
circumstances dont allow you to fix it yourself, bring it in and watch'em
a few times _and_ know how the job is supposed to go down. I'm sure that
14 bay dealer also has plenty of A3 digifunk gurus who couldnt care less
about an 88 scirocco and would royally screw up the same job, so its
entirely your responsibility to find the right person. The nightmares
I've experienced were exclusively from idiot independent mechanics who
know shit or were outright criminals. There's no guarantee, but at least
at a dealership you're less likely to encounter morons, since you need
certain minimum qualifications (which are pretty rigorous) to be employed
there.

greg