scirocco projects...

Another So. Cal scirocco fan... They are pretty thick on the ground
out here... Anyhow, I am considering swapping a 2L 16v into a 79
scirocco.  Anyone had a crack at this?  It seems like I would
want to upgrade to electronic ignition at the same time... Probably
goto larger brakes, change the exhaust, different clutch... This
car has the 3.89 .76 5th tranny in it... I would probably leave it...
The 79 doesnt have a CAT on the exhaust, I worry a little about keeping
things street legal... Especially with smog II coming in january...
Maybe the inspection station wouldnt notice that or I could just tell them
that the modifications were part of an aftermarket air conditioning system!!!
Maybe I should just buy a 16v scirocco and save the hassle....
Comments on choices for the above?

peace,
mmason
82 scirocco (slow daily driver 20+k/yr)
84 scirocco (untimely killed by toyota tonka truck)