Re: Welding up the diff.

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 23:38:39 4 "Ken Buck" <phillyscca@enter.net> writes:
>OK wise guy,  :^)

Heh!! Im glad you saw the humor in it. Lots of other's wouldn't. :)

>If someone offered you a fully sponsored ride (towing,tolls, entry
>fees, parts, repairs, get the idea) would you pass it up?

Never!!!! id never pass that up! What's this, you got a full ride?? That
sucks! Well, not for you, but id be perfectly happy with a setup like
that. That's my goal in life, let somebody else own the car, let somebody
else pay for everything, let somebody else have all the problems. I just
wanna race!

>As much as you may bust on the dirt boys,

Yeah but if *I* were a dirt racer, id be saying "dirt is for racing"
too... so.... since I Don't get to race on dirt, and all the racing I do
get to do is on pavement (Banked oval stuff too sometimes, like this
comming up weekend, YEEHAAA!!) I gotta stick with my "dirt is for
farming" line! : )
That's not to say I wouldn't jump on the chance to race on dirt. Id love
to do some Rallye stuff someday. Have you seen them guys on Speed
vision??? Amazing driving they do and if you make a little mistake, you
get to roll your rallye car at over 180kph! (That's kinda hard of incar
cameras too but who cares, somebody else is paying for it! )

> I am living proof that
>autox driving helps in ALL types of racing.  I use all the techniques
>from autoxing on the dirt track, and I took rookie of the year
>finishing 8th out of 50 drivers.  Things like left foot braking, seat
>of the pants car control, anticipation and knowing What's way ahead of
>you.  Get the idea.

I agree with you. Since i've been autoxing, my driving control/ability
has greatly improved.  I Don't know how many accidents i've been able to
avoid because I knew exactly how far I could push my car in avoiding some
numbnut clueless dingo geek. Yesterday was yet another great example of
that. No, it wasn't raining (or there would have been many more involved
in the accident.)
Im in the fast lane, following the leader. As were slowly passing this
early 70's bronco, she decided she needs to be in the fast lane.
Does she look?? Noooooo
Does she signal?? Hell No!!!
Does she turn left into the car Tarus That's next to her??
Yup.
Dumbass.
You know how you can tell somebody is gonna change lanes because they
kinda lean on the line?? Well, she did this, I had a feeling she was
comming over no matter who was there next to her and so she did. Big
surprise.
So, she tags the car in front of me, spins and backs into the center
divide wall. I have a wide 5 panel mirror in my car (WINK? Something like
that.) and I knew I was safe all around me, so I went into a hard right,
over 2 lanes to the #3 lane and around the looping Bronco. The cars
behind me followed me right around the accident. I stopped (Being me) and
checked everybody ect..
So That's yet another way that participating in autox events have helped
me be a better driver.  :)

>Yea the "Big" boys run on asphalt, I guess us poor people have to
>settle on dirt.  BTW, how well do you do in autox?

Well Phillyman, considering that I am driving a car that is not a
dedicated DSP car (ie, not trailered and not built to the limits.) I do
pretty good. For example, the last race I finished 3rd behind Randy
Walters very well prepped 85 GTi and a well sorted Spitfire.
Randy Walters	Golf GTi	59.885
Joe Beckett	Spitfire	62.085
Shawn Meze	Scirocco	62.763
Tony Feliciano	TR6	62.973 (<--former DSP champ car)
Charles young	X19	63.416
Yo Yousifusa	Celica	64.821
David Beckett	Spitfire	65.224
John Linen	Jetta	65.571

For some comparison, The former DSP champ (Finished 2nd this year at
Nationals) Tom Berry raced in PAX class and finished 2nd with a time of
57.594.
After the days event during funruns, Tom approached me and asked me if I
would like him to ride with me..... Duh... YEAH!! I was honored and he
showed me things that I thought about,. but didn't think it was important
enough to matter. My next lap after he rode with me, he critiqued my
driving and I went out and drove using his advice and I turned in a
60.441! Unfortunately for me, that was the end of funruns so I didn't get
to practice my newly discovered speed like I wanted to. The next event
(This Saturday at the Stadium and Sunday at Devore.) I will get to
showcase my newly discovered speed. (Hopefully, if I Don't screw anything
up!)

>ANd do you need
>special suspension to ride the earthquakes?

Puh-lease...... That's why all cars sold in California have the special
California package! Don't you know anything! : )-

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and