compressor removal

I've got a question for a mod/switcharoo that I'd like to take care of
this week sometime...

I have AC and no PS on my '84, and the two pivot bolts for the compressor
were snapped because the previous owner replaced them w/ some junk from a
hardware store! Grrr.  Also, my pivots are 10MM, though specs show they're
supposed to be 8's? Can anyone verify? I think the holes were redrilled.

My question is. I want to remove the a/c system and take the compressor
out of the loop. I know there's more involved in this than I might expect,
but will it do any harm to remove the compressor, get a non A/C belt and
hook the stuff up and run?? Is there a problem with my 90amp alternator?
Any other timing or spin problems with all this??

~C
who needs A/C in the winter anyway??

     Christopher Mende             ICEMT         O: 515-294-6738
     www.icemt.iastate.edu           @           F: 515-294-5531
     bayern.me.iastate.edu    Iowa State Univ    H: 515-294-6658