RE: compressor removal

Chris wrote:
My question is. I want to remove the a/c system and take the
compressor
out of the loop. I know there's more involved in this than I might
expect,
but will it do any harm to remove the compressor, get a non A/C belt
and
hook the stuff up and run??

Haaaaaaaaaahhhh.  Too funny.  When I converted my 80 S to non A/C, I
thought it would be that easy, but no...this was not the case.  The
hard part was finding the pullies with the correct offsets.  You will
most likely need a new crankshaft pulley, alternator pulley and water
pump pulley.  After about two weeks of searching (with my car off the
road), I had to replace all three pulleys and purchase a new water
pump with the shorter spindle.  I also had to machine the alternator
adjusting bracket so that I could tighten the belt enough (you could
probably bypass this part by purchasing a smaller belt, but it was fun
- you gotta love dremel tools!).  Anyway, good luck.  You will really
be impressed with this "simple" mod once you are done.

 Is there a problem with my 90amp alternator?
Any other timing or spin problems with all this??

Not that I know of, but while you're at this, if you haven't done this
already, you could remove those annoying timing belt covers (just a
suggestion).

HTH,

John
80 Scirocco S