Re: W8 Musings

Message text written by T Jarrett
>On Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:52:01 -0600 (CST) ChuckKuecker <ckuecker@mcs.net>
writes:
>At 15:02 12/4/97 -0500, you wrote:

>The VR4 sounds like the Saab V4 from the 60's and 70's - it was two
>halves
>of English 4-cylinder blocks, essentially - another wierd one. (They
>had a
>casting based on said English parts, not two bolted together...)
>
>Chuck Kuecker
>
>ckuecker@mcs.net

I guess a bit of trivia,  but the Saab V4 was made by Ford of Germany,
kind of odd huh?
<

No not so odd. You see Yahama built the SHO motor for Ford. You know GM
took over Saab.
So you would think GM would make the motor but in the car biz that is not
how it works.
All the big car co's are linked in some way. Toyota provided trucks to VW
in the 80's. Audi motors
are in Volvos. The 914. The Honda Passport/ Isuzu/Opel. Honda has Land
Rovers in Japan with
Honda badges. Rover is BMW! Ford and VW are linked through the Polo and
Brasil production.
Mazda/ Ford is well known. The GEO Line, GM/Toyota, GM/Isuzu, GM/Suzuki. I
could go on and on.
What do you think about the GEO Storm that is the Isuzu and was the Piazza
designed by Ital's GG
like the Scirocco and the Scirocco Storm.

Just rember "parts is parts", and that is where the bucks are. The best
bang for the buck will move the
most cars. Profits are everything. Pride in 100% inhouse design is only
found in small dead car co's.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"