Re: Length of Alternator Belt.....???

At 7:58 PM -0800 12/05/1997, Etop Udoh wrote:
> A couple of months back my alternator belt broke and I replaced it
>with one that seems a few or couple of inches longer than the original or

> any ideas on whether the length of the belt would have any bearing on the
>charging system ????

If it is too long and slipping, yes.  It could be so loose that it is not
squealing - but if it gets tight enough, then the problem is not the belt.
I am not sure which belt I have on my car - I just go to the store, bring
one I know fits(I tend to replace them before they break), tell the guy
that I need one the same size.  Most parts stores have belt measuring
tools, so they can figure out which one you need.  My pullies are all wrong
- water pump "too big," crank too big, etc - if I order the belt for my
car, I get one that is too short.  Has to do with my piecing together a
non-ac setup, rather than getting a complete set of pullies out of the
junkyard.  Silly me.  So, if the belt gets tight enough(the alternator is
spinning), and the car is not charging, the belt is not to blame.  Best of
luck!

I.Mannix