Length of Alternator Belt.....???

 A couple of months back my alternator belt broke and I replaced it
with one that seems a few or couple of inches longer than the original or
even the one that was called for (when the Auto parts guy looked it up)
and I'm wondering if that would affect the way my battery is being charged
'cause my Dash lights are looking pretty dim at night even after changing
the bulbs and the alternator belt is the only thing I can put my finger
on at the moment....
  I recently put a new rebuilt alternator on after getting it tested to make
sure that it was working correctly.....so that's not the problem.

 any ideas on whether the length of the belt would have any bearing on the
charging system ????