This tranny confusion

Hi again...
	I don't know if I am the only one in the world who is so concerned by
this, but my transmission (code AGB) is most certainly *not* the same one
as printed in all of the tables I've seen.  Perhaps the 2Y is the one
printed, and the AGB is the same gears, just with a 3.94 final drive
instead of the 3.67 that's listed.

	On my way into town today, I clocked various speeds and rpms in all 5
gears, and when I mapped it out, everything matches up almost perfectly...
with a 3.94 final drive.  What I did was wrote down road speed at 2000rpm,
4000rpm, and 6800rpm in each gear (obviously not 6800 in 5th).  I turned
each data into an overall ratio for the gear and averaged the 3.  Using the
averages, I calculated the road speed at 4000rpm in each gear.  I
calculated the data for the AGB/2Y transmission, as well as for that
transmission with a 3.94 final drive.  Here's what I got:

GEAR  MY SPEED  3.94 FDR   AGB/2Y
  #    @4000     @4000     @4000
------------------------------------
I     	19.41mph   19.91mph  21.37mph
II	31.62mph   32.40mph  34.78mph
III	45.86mph   47.70mph  51.20mph
IV	60.00mph   60.78mph  65.26mph
V	74.50mph   75.28mph  81.03mph
------------------------------------

I was going to put all my calculations down for you skeptics, but talk
about a waste of bandwidth... even if I am wrong, I used the same method to
calculate everything, so it would still be consistent.

	Now, doesn't it look like my car has a 3.94 Final drive?  If you're
thinking speedometer/tachometer error, don't you think it's slightly
coincidental that they would be precisely so inaccurate as to exactly
emulate a 3.94 final drive.. one that VW actually did make?  And wouldn't
be a little too coincidental that a my friend's Jetta GLi (a 1989) is
within 1mph of mine as well? (I'll find out his transmission code later
tonight).

	The reason I asked all of you for your info was that I want to see if my
hypothesis is correct:  I hypothesize that the AGB and 2Y transmissions are
in fact different.  They have the same gears, but the AGB has the 3.94
Final Drive and the 2Y the 3.67.  If I can get enough people with AGB and
2Ys, we can see if I'm right... in which case I'll give myself a pat on the
back as the most ANAL RETENTIVE person alive.

	In case you're planning to write me with an insult, or comment that I have
entirely too much time on my hands, let me remind you of one thing.  It is
finals week here at the University of Pittsburgh.  As far as I am
concerned, he who thinks of the best way of procrastinating wins.  I am a
senior this year, and I've done all the other shit in past years.. I had to
think of new stuff.

	So, if any of you are students who happen to have lots of finals and a 16v
with the AGB or 2Y transmission, your procrastination would greatly help mine.

	Thanks lots guys,
			Jason

PS:  Guess my major. <Tee-Hee>