Re: This tranny confusion

Jason,

Here's my thoughts on the matter...

> Hi again...
> 	I don't know if I am the only one in the world who is so concerned by
> this, but my transmission (code AGB) is most certainly *not* the same one
> as printed in all of the tables I've seen.  Perhaps the 2Y is the one
> printed, and the AGB is the same gears, just with a 3.94 final drive
> instead of the 3.67 that's listed.

As far as I've ever seen, every AGB trans including the one in my
16V GTI, has a 3.67.  Is there a possibility that your trans has been
out and taken apart at one time?  I know many transmission rebuilders
that will improvise with different final drives to get the job done.
If this is the case, you lucked out.  If you are the original owner
and know it's never been out of the car then you've got one strange
tranny.

> GEAR  MY SPEED  3.94 FDR   AGB/2Y
>   #    @4000     @4000     @4000
> ------------------------------------
> I     	19.41mph   19.91mph  21.37mph
> II	31.62mph   32.40mph  34.78mph
> III	45.86mph   47.70mph  51.20mph
> IV	60.00mph   60.78mph  65.26mph
> V	74.50mph   75.28mph  81.03mph
------------------------------------

This looks very similar to my 2H in my MK1 which has a 3.94 with the
same gears.

 > 	Now, doesn't it look like my car has a 3.94 Final drive?  If
you're
> thinking speedometer/tachometer error, don't you think it's slightly
> coincidental that they would be precisely so inaccurate as to exactly
> emulate a 3.94 final drive.. one that VW actually did make?  And wouldn't
> be a little too coincidental that a my friend's Jetta GLi (a 1989) is
> within 1mph of mine as well? (I'll find out his transmission code later
> tonight).
>
> 	The reason I asked all of you for your info was that I want to see if my
> hypothesis is correct:  I hypothesize that the AGB and 2Y transmissions are
> in fact different.  They have the same gears, but the AGB has the 3.94
> Final Drive and the 2Y the 3.67.  If I can get enough people with AGB and
> 2Ys, we can see if I'm right... in which case I'll give myself a pat on the
> back as the most ANAL RETENTIVE person alive.

Your hypothesis that AGB and 2Y's are different is right, but
according to VW and me, myself and I, the only difference is the
coding and the backup light switch.

The AGB has the big 5 pin plastic one and the 2Y has the thread in 2
prong.  I think your car may possibly have a 3.94 but the only cars
that"came"with a 3.94 is 83-84 GTI's and Golf Diesel's (yuck).

> 	In case you're planning to write me with an insult, or comment that I have
> entirely too much time on my hands, let me remind you of one thing.  It is
> finals week here at the University of Pittsburgh.  As far as I am
> concerned, he who thinks of the best way of procrastinating wins.  I am a
> senior this year, and I've done all the other shit in past years.. I had to
> think of new stuff.

Even when I'm busier than hell, if I have a question about something
I go to all extremes to get the answer too.  I think we're both in
the running for 1st place on ANAL RETENTIVENESS.  That's what my wife
says anyways :-) "And why are you taking your trans out again Mike?,
isn't 4th gear fine?" she says.  She will continue to be forever
baffled at my weird VW trivia.

Thanks Mannix for labeling me as the Guru on Useless VW Trivia.  I'll
remember that when you need a part. :-)

> 	So, if any of you are students who happen to have lots of finals and a 16v
> with the AGB or 2Y transmission, your procrastination would greatly help mine.
>
> 	Thanks lots guys,
> 			Jason
>
> PS:  Guess my major. <Tee-Hee>

Come on we're all in suspense, tell us!