Re: Dyno results: 87 16v and other bedtime stories.

On Sun, 31 Aug 1997 00:44:43 +0000 "Ryan Schuermann" <rts@phoenix.net>
writes:

>anyways I have a stock 1987 16v Scirocco w/ K&N and a modified
>air intake (thats does not affect a dyno test)

No, on the dyno the modified airbox wont show any results. Now on the
freeway on a nice cool night, it will definitely show a difference if you
were to have a rolling dyno aboard.

>man when the rice boys hoped on with their turbos, and even naturally
>aspirated...their hp and torque curves...weren't even curves..more
>like jagged mountain peaks and valleys..they were all over the
>page..messy messy messy. We all got a chuckle...even though they put
>out 250hp at the wheel...it was all messed up and sloppy.

Still, 250 is 250. Thats 305 HP to the crank!! Id say they were doing
something right to get that much power out of a 4 banger. I wouldn't
laugh.

>On the way home I now realized why hondas/acuras go badgeless,
>it's because they don't want us to know what kinda shitty car they
>really drive..case in point..cruzing along in 5th @ 45mph, I see this
>slammed 4door honda blow by me then slow down, I catch up to him
>and am trying to see what I'm up against..cuz if its a vtec I'm not
>even gonna bother..

So if you know you cant beat somebody you wont even try? I don't care who
im up against. I will give anybody a run, win or loose. So what if you
loose, its nice to see what's on the streets. Ive raced a few Vtec's and
even a couple G60's. I got smoked by the G60's (Buh-bye!) but the Vtecs
arent that impressive. Ive even tangles with a few Vettes and Camaros.
You would be surprised what you can do against some of these guys. Some
of them automatics are limited to about 110mph and you can hang right
with them. I've been complimented a few times by 5-0 drivers with just
the fact I could keep up with them top end. (even pulled out and passed a
few) don't be afraid.

>but I see a buncha punks in the seats and then

Why do they have to be punks?

>I hear the punks rev it up and gun it..

It took all 4 to depress the throttle pedal??? (Man, im having fun with
this one!)

>drop it to 4th..no still not
>enough, drop it in 3rd..by that time they have 1/2 car length on
>me...but by the time I got it to 4th I was already a car length ahead
>and then put 3 car length on them in 4th...hehe they took the first
>left turn they could!!!

Well, the fact they had 4 people in the car means they had an additional
450lbs in the car. (on the premise that each passenger is 150lbs and
thinking you were alone.) That alone can significantly reduce their
acceleration capabilities. You could have, in theory, outrun a Vtec!
Thats some of the consideration I look for when sizing up an opponent.
My most recent defeats was against a new Honda with a Turbo. (quite a few
months ago actually.) He had 4 people in the car and I figured I had a
chance. Nada. I could hear his wastegate blow when he shifted. No fair.
:)

>I LOVE MY SCIROCCO!!!!!!!

I love your Scirocco too man!

>thank you
>Ryan

No, no! Thank you!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and