RE: VDO replacement gear (fwd)

>I just replaced my old VDO speedo (only goes to 85mph) with one out of
>a '79 scirocco (100mph) at which time I also adjusted the odometer to
>match what was on my old speedo.  On each of the speedo's the exact
>same gear you are talking about was slightly cracked.  This sounds
>like a recall item to me.  Anyway, besides that I have a question
>concerning the reliability of what my new speedo reports.  I truly
>believe my speedo is reading about 15 to 20 mph over what I am
>actually moving at.  Is there any way to calibrate this or do I need
>to get a new cable or both or what?  Can anyone help?
>
>John
>80 Scirocco S
>85 GTI

When I was in the car pits last week, I saw two 100 mph speedometers and
thought about picking them up but I wasn't sure if they were a direct
replacement for the 85's.  The original 85mph speedometer in my '81 also
read about 15-20 mph over what it should have.  I couldn't get it to read
correctly no matter what position I pushed the needle back on so I replaced
it (after matching odometer readings).  I don't know if the 100 mph units
are compatible or if you just got a sick one.  And yeah, both of the 100
mph units I saw had the cracked gear.  So where did VDO get this reputation
for making quality instruments?	benton------