RE: Thermoswitch investigation

>If anyone out there has a torch or otherwise a controlled heat source that
>goes well over 100C and an accurate temperature measurement device, we
>could really put this question to bed and test the damn things until they
>DO switch (if ever).  Or just tear it to shreds and figure out why it
>ain't working.
>Any takers?  Heck, if someone's got a "latent" switch out there, I'd be
>willing to test it for ya.

Darren,
 didn't you read the other posts? No one is interested in technical things
like the failure mode of the thermoswitch. In order to keep them from
whining about the content of this message, let me just state that I put
matching racing stripes on my chopped up grill, monowiper,splitfires, sub
box, ground effects, and coffee can exhaust. Now it runs fast as yo ma, and
looks dope too.:P
And regarding your dash lights: No, they're not LEDs, and can be changed
easily, but the color is as Ilias described it. And the time to suspect the
light switch(actually the dimmer on the light switch) is when all of the
dashlights die. If its just one or two dead, replace the bulbs. You can get
the bulbs cheaply from most parts stores (Auto Zone, Pep Boys, NAPA).

Now back to a semitechnical discussion. Tearing a thermoswitch down that is
completely nonfunctional would be kinda interesting. I'd be curious as to
what causes it to fail so completely. It might help to tear a good one down
to compare the innards of them to see what doesn't look right.
The downside of testing a switch thats already turning on late is that it
was never tested before to find out its original switching temp. But you
could test it, find when it switches, then clean it, and find when it
switches. If after cleaning, it switches pretty close to what its rated
for, then you're in good shape. But if it still switches too high, you
won't know whether the switch was always out of spec, or if the crud had
some sort of permanent effect.
  Or since the manufacturer has undoubtedly performed testing of this sort,
you could just track it down, sound official, and find out directly from an
engineer.

Brad