RE: What to do, what to do...

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Darren Leung - HLO wrote:

 > While we're on the subject, from everyone's experience, is it a normal
 thing for the dash/cluster lights to fail, i.e., the lights themselves.
 I'm not sure, but if memory serves, then the lights are actually diodes
 (1986), which don't usually fail.  Plus I read something here before
 about the light switch being the culprit.  Right now, only the left side
 light works. >
> If it IS an LED problem, has anyone tried desoldering the green VW
 ones and sticking in red radio shack ones, a la BMW?  Personally, I like
 the evil Bimmer red, so any input is appreciated. > Tx.
> Darren

1. The lights in your dash are bulbs, not LEDs (at least in 8V cars, and
I would bet in 16Vs). LEDs are found only for the OXS, oil, turn signal,
etc, indicators in the middle of the dash.

2. The bulbs are not green. The light becomes green as it is filtered
through a green transparent pane that is part of our cluster. Very tough
to break it and put in an amber one (I have considered it).

3. If only one side of your cluster is gone, then you need a bulb. There
are three bulbs, one for each large dial, and one for the clock. To
replace one of the two dial bulbs you don't even need to take the cluster
out. The biggest job is to remove the underdash cover that covers the
steering column. Then take out the speedo cable from the cluster. Then
take out that little plastic cover that surrounds the sides of the
cluster-housing part of the dash. Then take out one screw on top of the
cluster. Then tip the cluster forward and you will see the two bulbs on
top. Replace the bad one (go to dealer first to get a replacement, these
are not common bulbs at all).

Ilias