RE: What to do, what to do...

At 08:16 8/27/97 -0400, you wrote:
>While we're on the subject, from everyone's experience, is it a normal
thing for the dash/cluster lights to fail, i.e., the lights themselves.  I'm
not sure, but if memory serves, then the lights are actually diodes (1986),
which don't usually fail.  Plus I read something here before about the light
switch being the culprit.  Right now, only the left side light works.

>If it IS an LED problem, has anyone tried desoldering the green VW ones and
sticking in red radio shack ones, a la BMW?  Personally, I like the evil
Bimmer red, so any input is appreciated.
>Tx.
>Darren

If you do this - make sure you check that you are not putting too much
current through the red LEDs. They work at a slightly lower voltage than
green ones, and need a different dropping resistor...

LEDs do fail, if you get the much over 100 C (for long times), or try to
pump too much power through them...

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (new paint!)