RE: What to do, what to do...

While we're on the subject, from everyone's experience, is it a normal thing for the dash/cluster lights to fail, i.e., the lights themselves.  I'm not sure, but if memory serves, then the lights are actually diodes (1986), which don't usually fail.  Plus I read something here before about the light switch being the culprit.  Right now, only the left side light works.

If it IS an LED problem, has anyone tried desoldering the green VW ones and sticking in red radio shack ones, a la BMW?  Personally, I like the evil Bimmer red, so any input is appreciated.
Tx.
Darren