Re: Grill

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997 02:03:09 +0000 "Ryan Schuermann" <rts@phoenix.net>
 wrote:

 > I live in apt...next month a house yay!!!! anyways I don't have
 > a pletheora of tools so I improvise.
 >
 > The preferred method would be with a 'hot' knife to cut the slats out
 > then use a file to smooth out the rough spots.
 >
 > I used a sabersaw to cut the acual bars off the emblem, middle
 > support, and end support..so i wasleft with a total of 16 1/4-slats
 > I didn't go as slow as i should have so i nicked the other slats
 > slightly near the middle support bars. Then i tood a soldering gun
 > and melted away the triangle shaped pieces of plastic on the end and
 > support bars then used a small knife to smooth the plastic and make
 > it a flat edge facing out. I'm on pic 8/12 so I should have some
 > closeup pics up by next week.
 >
 > that was just on my daily driver, I plan to do a much more careful job
 > on my other 2 grills for my show car...and then paint the grille to
 > match the metallic pearl black cherry paint job! =]
 >
 > like i said in a previous post it made the car MUCH cooler when
 > stuck in traffic and idiling..though someoen commented that you'll
 > have to clean off your radiator more often.
 >
 > Ryan

 Now I know I am about to sound like a conceited bastard but....

 I was first, I was first!
 =¨)

 Actually, I did it in about 2 minutes total with a Dremel tool and cutting discs.  You
 just cut the slat at the end and then cut it at the badge.  Then just twist it back and
 forth once or twice to break it off the slat-supports.  I did this on about 3 grilles so far
 so I know it works clean percfectly every time.  I must say I have yet to see a
 Scirocco owner unimpressed with the mod.  BTW: When done paint it black.  It
 looks much better than the black plastic IMHO.  CYA

 Josh Clark
 EXC Performance: We RULE!
 http://idt.net/~exc
 phone: 973 773 3889