Re: Resetting Engine Timing

On Sun, 24 Aug 1997 13:28:31 -0500 "Wayne Cressman"
<holymac@holymackerel.com> writes:
>I've had to repair the distributor on my '86 16v Scirocco and now need
>to reset the engine timing.  My Bentley manual tells me I should open up

>a plastic plug on the top of my transaxle bellhousing and use the timing

>mark there.  The plastic plug I've found on top of the transaxle is
buried
>deep beneath my distributor and lots of wires, and is therefore not
>viewable. Are there any other timing marks I can use?

that's the only one. You will need to dig out a path to the plug and also
completely remove the plug. There is a pointer that is cast into the
tranny housing that makes timming the car easy. You just got to get the
timming light into a position where you can get some light onto the
flywheel and another direct path where you can see it.
Its a jungle, be carefull!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and