Resetting Engine Timing

I've had to repair the distributor on my '86 16v Scirocco and now need to
reset the engine timing.  My Bentley manual tells me I should open up a
plastic plug on the top of my transaxle bellhousing and use the timing mark
there.  The plastic plug I've found on top of the transaxle is buried deep
beneath my distributor and lots of wires, and is therefore not viewable.
Are there any other timing marks I can use?

Regards,
Wayne Cressman
Holy Mackerel! Media, Inc.
Email holymac@holymackerel.com