God help me. (16V clutch cable)

Okay, so I've asked people repeated if there is any way to fit a regular old
MANUAL-adjustment clutch cable to a 16V and all I  have heard is "no".

Being that my self-adjusting cable is all whacked out and not self-adjusting,
I decide to bite the bullet and buy a new one for $65.  I put the damn thing
in before releasing the ties that hold the self-adjusting spring mechanism in
place.  Finally, I release the ties and operate the clutch only to find it is
no better off than when I first started.

As an added bonus, every time I depress the clutch to the floor and begin to
release up, I here a "click" sound coming from the self-adjusting mechanism.

So, I guess my question is:  what could I have done wrong?

And does ANYONE know of a way to fit a manual adjustment cable to a Scirocco
16V?

This thing is killing me.

-Bradley
1986 Scirocco 16V 2.0 liter with a bastardized, frankenstien clutch cable.
1987 Quantum Syncro Wagon (for sale)
http://www.effervescent.com/btp/vw.html