Re: Any home methods for replacing control arm bushings

TCame86712@aol.com wrote:

> > Hi Everybody-
> >    Has anyone been successfull removing control arm bushings
> >  themselves?  I got some nice poly ones from Mark, and it would
> >  be cool if I could remove the old ones and install the new ones
> >  myself, but I have no press and I haven't figured out an
> >  obvious way to remove the old ones.
> >                       Thanks,
> >                       Arthur
> >  --
> jUST DID THAT JOB A FEW MOTHS AGO. aLL YOU NEED IS (damn caps lock key!) a
> good sized vice and a few sockets.

(procedure about the vise deleted)
If you don't have a vise wide enough, I've used just about the same
method, but substituting a long bolt and nut to squeeze the
bushing into the socket. Cutting the 'lip' on the opposite end
off may help get it started. Be sure to use a pretty hefty bolt
of decent grade steel, or it'll be sure to strip. I also used a large
washer on the nut end to keep it from binding on the socket hole.

-maurice