Re: Any home methods for replacing control arm bushings

> Hi Everybody-
>    Has anyone been successfull removing control arm bushings
>  themselves?  I got some nice poly ones from Mark, and it would
>  be cool if I could remove the old ones and install the new ones
>  myself, but I have no press and I haven't figured out an
>  obvious way to remove the old ones.
>  			Thanks,
>  			Arthur
>  --
jUST DID THAT JOB A FEW MOTHS AGO. aLL YOU NEED IS (damn caps lock key!) a
good sized vice and a few sockets.
A 13 or 14mm deep and shallow make good sizes to push the bushing through the
arm. You may need to start with a shallow (regular) socket, then switch to a
deep if your vice doesn't open far enough. Put a large enough socket on the
opposite side that the bushing can be pushed out of the arm and into the
center of the empty socket. I used a 30mm, I think.
open the vice far enough to sandwich in (in this order) the small socket
(closed end touching the bushing), the arm with the bushing, then the larger
socket, with the open end facing the bushing. Then tighten the vice, pushing
on the bushing with the small socket. the bushing will eventually be pushed
out into the large socket. You may have to start with a regular socket, then
back up once that one has gone as far into the arm as it will go, then
replace it with the deep one to finish the job.
I hope this all made sense. It works very well, never had it fail yet.

Todd