16v Engine swap

Hello,

I've got both an 85 and an 86.5 16v scirocco. The 85 body is good
condition, and has koni shocks&springs, Techtonics exhaust,
and upper & lower stress bars. The engine is the 8v, of course,
with at least 150k miles. I think the fuel distributor has gone bad.

The 86.5 has the 16v engine, but needs cylinder head work (timing
belt...), has several dents, bad front bumper mounts at least
(ran into ditch), and has had the interior flooded. However,
the short block is the 2.0 bubble, with only about 50k miles on it.

Here's the obvious question: What's the best way to go about
swapping the 16v engine into the 85? I've done tranny
replacements, clutches, axles, head gaskets, etc. but an entire
engine seems, at best, a bit heavy to handle. I'm sure some of
you must have done this, since I see some older 16v scirocco's
around.

I would swap it split, as the cylinder head needs to come off anyway.
I hear that it needs to come out from underneath, which seems easy
enough, but then how do you move the car away? Also, how do you
balance the thing on a jack, or does one even use a jack?

Lastly, since I do have both cars complete, I don't thing I'll
need to worry about missing parts. Just to make sure, though,
there really aren't any missing body mounts, etc, are there?
Changing the wiring over doesn't really scare me, but is
there anything to watch out for?

Thanks very much for any comments, suggestions!

Maurice Slot
('85, '86 S, '90 Corrado)