Re: Emissions

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 14:52:54 -0400 Solh Zendeh <Solh_Zendeh@zd.com>
writes:
>I have two ideas - the first (and more far out) would be maybe they
>specified only single cam engines could enter - my understanding is
>that the Honda 16v has a single 16 lobe cam.

No, I wondered around to the other cars in that class and the 2 honda
engines that I saw were both of the dual cam design. <Shrug>

>This would seem like a stupid
>rule to me though (and unfair).  The other is: it's been postulated that

>the VW 16v head is of fairly poor design, especially the exhaust ducting
-
>maybe they thought they could get more reliable power from the 8v head -
or
>more torque?  Just some things that popped into my head...   sz

I think the 16V is a better design than the 8V for all out performance.
Flat out, you simply flow more volule with that head. Not only that but
right out of the box, you've got 15+ ponies over any other 8V motor. (I
can hear it already, "Not the 2.0L... Duh, im talking about the stock
1.8L) The exhasut systems on these all out racecars were all tubular
headers so I dont think the exhaust could be any problem. Especially
since your allowed to do ANY machine work to the head you would ever want
to do. The 16V head flows quite nicely.
Maybe just the idea of more parts to fail was one of their concearns or
maybe it was just their lack of experience with the motors. I dunno.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and