Re: Suspended Licenses

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997 06:42:22 -0400 Kevin McGrath <kevin@pelican.net>
writes:

>I totally agree with almost all of what you said, but they have the
>right to harass and shake you down? Surely you didn't mean that?

Well, not in so many words. They have the right to stop you for any
reason. They have the right to verify who you are and that you have
insurance and that your vehicle is registered. (im talking in CA.) They
also have the right to do a safety inspection on your vehicle. (and check
for eligal racing parts ect.)
Now, while they have you stopped and they're verifying all these other
things, they might ask, "do you mind if I search the car"? Once i said
"yes I do" just to be a jerk. Now they have "suspicion" and can now call
on a K-9 to come walk around the outside of the car. Now you have to wait
for the K-9 unit to arrive. You are now being detained. If the dog senses
any drug, the officers now have probable cause to search the car. If they
find something, they can now arrest you.
Usually when they've asked to search my car, I say "sure but if you break
anything, you bought it". Naturally, they're disappointed when they find
nothing.

See, its a game. Its their rules, you just gotta play by them and try and
not get caught.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi