Re: what's up with my trans???????

In a message dated 97-08-10 12:32:20 EDT, shadrach@verinet.com (Shad
Shepston) writes:

<< While driving around yesterday the clutch started to not disengage
 fully.  I thought, OK, bad cable, time to buy a new one.  When I looked
 at it this morning, the lever on the transmission would move about 2 to
 3 inches before encountering any resistance.  I think that someone else
 told this story before but I don't remember what the outcome was.
 What's going on?  I need to get this baby up soon since it's my only
 transportation so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

First remove the cable and check it may not look colapsed but it may be.
Second pop the green cover ( or 4 bolts if you you have a 4spd) and have
someoone push the clutch pedal to see the release arm push the Throw out
bearing to be sure the "hockey puck" or push lever isn't craked its a common
problem.
If step 1 and 2 are okay it's lookin' like clutch time.
If you're going to do the clutch then do it right. Replace the throw out
bearing, end cap, push rod, push rod bushing, push rod seal, trans mainshaft
seal, engine main seal, pressure plate, clutch disc, release plate and clip.
If you have an 8valve and a 5spd then you could even up grade the pressur
plate to the 16valve one for a stronger grabbing clutch. The 16valve clutch
disc won't work so don't even try that.
While you have the trans out you could even drain it and put 2 quarts of
redline MTL in it.

Hope that helped.

Steve Toughill
NJScirGTX