Transmission problem for Shadrach

RE: what's up with my trans???????

> While driving around yesterday the clutch started to not disengage
> fully.  I thought, OK, bad cable, time to buy a new one.  When I looked
> at it this morning, the lever on the transmission would move about 2 to
> 3 inches before encountering any resistance.  I think that someone else
> told this story before but I don't remember what the outcome was.
> What's going on?  I need to get this baby up soon since it's my only
> transportation so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

     Sounds like your pressure plate has bit the big one.  Mine did this in
my '80 Jetta.  Otherwise it could be the throwout bearing forks.  How long
has it been since the clutch/pressure plate has been replaced, if ever?

     Since more than likely you'll have to pull the transmission to replace
the clutch and pressure plate, it would be a PERFECT time to invest just a
little more money and get the rear main seal for the engine, the pushrod
bearing and seal, and the transmission input shaft seal.

     Sean
     wildfire@albany.net
     SYSOP: BOB'S WORLD BBS