what's up with my trans???????

While driving around yesterday the clutch started to not disengage
fully.  I thought, OK, bad cable, time to buy a new one.  When I looked
at it this morning, the lever on the transmission would move about 2 to
3 inches before encountering any resistance.  I think that someone else
told this story before but I don't remember what the outcome was.
What's going on?  I need to get this baby up soon since it's my only
transportation so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

	shadrach