Re: AC Compressor

     They could have knocked some wires going to the fan switch/AC selector
     switch while thy were working on your cluster.  Pull your AC/Heater
     control panel on the dash and have a look.  Also, when you select AC
     or defrosters, and turn on the fan, does the radiator fan come on?  If
     it doesn't then it may definetly be something in the dash.  I assume
     the blower still works on all speeds though?

     The most popular reason the clutch does not come on is a loss of freon
     presure.  You can jumper the sender, located at the front of the
     engine compartment nearer the battery up on top near rediator.  Should
     have green wiring (if I am correct).  It is a 2 prong connector.  Pull
     the wires, jump them together, turn ignition on, turn AC on.  If the
     clutch works, your have eliminated the dash wiring problem, and it
     points to a loss in freon.

     But, from what you are describing, you went from boom to bust and the
     only variable was the shop poking around.  You may want to confont
     them and explain your dilemma.

     -Paul
     87 Scirocco 16v
     87 Jetta GLi