Re: AC Compressor

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997 23:26:46 +0800 "Rick Lackner"
<hugacub@mail.whidbey.net> writes:
>On  6 Aug 97 at 0:53, SHAWN C MEZE wrote:
>
>> Once you remove the belt from the A/C all you do is remove the 4
>> little bolts and the clutch assy should come right off. (Disconnect
>> the wire too.)
>
>You mean no puller is needed for these?  That would be too good to be
>true.

Ah well, being me, I had to go out and see if I could remove the clutch
without a puller. You do. Theres 4 small bolts and one 13mm bolt that
holds the pulley to the shaft. It appears there is a threading inside the
pulley to use a a press by inserting the proper bolt. Then again, I got
mine off with a cheapie gear puller with no problems.

>I was under the impression that there are 2 different compressors
>they use on these things.  I'm wondering if this is the case and if
>yours and mine would be the same?

There are. One is the ugly square Yorx compressor. the other is the nice,
compact round unit. The one I have in my Scirocco is the square one and
the spare compresor is a yorx as well.

>I just went out to pop the hood and the f*****g cable broke.  It's late
and I
>don't feel like dicking with it, so I'll look at my compressor tomorrow
if I get
>the chance.

Damn Rick! When it rains.......

>BTW, I'm thinking I won't make SF after all.  With the axle, water
>pump and god knows what else will break till then, I figure I should
>stay home and try to get the rocco in shape.  Hopefully there this
>will become an annual thing and I'll make it next year.  I really
>wanted to get there, but it's just not working out this year.

Funny you say that. I dont think I will have the funds to stay up there.
I have to be in SF on the 12th and it looks like we will be forced to
return on the 15th. We just dont have any money. it sucks. Some vacation
huh.

>There is an event this weekend at PIR in Portland I'm thinking of
>going to if I can find directions on how to get there.  Anyone else
>thinking about this one?  Andre?  Riley?

I dont have specific directions but I do know its right off of the I-5. I
waswatching an event on ESPN there and you can see the freeway from the
camera shot. (the announcer also pointed it out as well.)
HTH!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi