Re: Howzit feel?

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997 10:55:34 -0400 "Gies, John" <JGies@skandia.com>
writes:

>my PS pump on my 88 16v is shot.  questions: 1)can i remove the pump
>and
>use the steering without it? 2)is this a stupid question?  3)if yes to
>#2, then does anyone have a pump i could get?  I would prefer used if
>new is expensive,and i imagine it is.
>
>thanks
>
>-john
>--

My power steering rack would not hold fluid a  few months before it was
undriveable, then I had to change it.  (I bought the car with a ripped
passenger side boot...it didn't even hold fluid then (February 96-August
96) During this time I didn't have any fluid in the rack and it lasted
quite some time (I think it was more or less the inner tie-rods that
finally went). However, it didn't seem to ruin the pump. The steering
will feel a lot harder, un-even, and not so smooth a turn than even the
non-powered steering.

Joshua