Re: Howzit feel?

Gies, John wrote:

> > I'd have to agree with Brad on the power and non-power steering. I
> > used
> > to own an 85 rocco with non-power and now I have an 88 16v rocc and I
> > would have to say that the power assisted is extremely wonderful in
> > parking lots but is not as sensative and/or precise at highway speeds
> > or
> > in cornering maneuvers...but I still like the 88 16v a heckuva lot
> > better.
> >
> > Joshua
> >
> my PS pump on my 88 16v is shot.  questions: 1)can i remove the pump and
> use the steering without it? 2)is this a stupid question?

No, it's not a stupid question...  I would leave the pump on, just take
the belt off.  Then drain the fluid (if it hasn't already leaked out).
Otherwise, you will be pushing fluid through the lines when you turn,
making it harder to turn the wheel.

3)if yes to
> #2, then does anyone have a pump i could get?  I would prefer used if
> new is expensive,and i imagine it is.

Let me look in my parts stash...  I'll get back to you if I have one.

John

'87 16v Scirocco
'86 GTi  <--- for sale
'82 VW diesel truck