Re: Temp Gauge Light

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997 20:25:21 -0400 "eric c ragot"
<eragot@tiny.brooklaw.edu> writes:
>	I'm having an interesting problem with my 1.8 8v. When I hit a
>hard bump in the road, it must be a sharp bump that makes you wish you
could
>avoid it - kinda like expansion joints, my temp light will flash for 3-8
>seconds. The temp is normal, and the sending unit is working (I
>cleaned and disconnected to verify). I also checked and cleaned the
connection
>for the cylinder head temp guage, it is clean and unbroken. None of the
>wires from these two sending units is shorting out to the block.
>	So, my question is thus, what causes the temp light to blink?
>I doubt the head is reaching impermissible temps because it only happens
with
>vertical movement of the car.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>-Eric R.

It sounds exactly like you have a loose connection in your ignition
switch. Remember what happens when you first turn the key on is the
lights flash to let you know its working. Then it stops. So the bump is
in a way, simulating you quickly shutting off and on the ignition switch
really quick. See? Does this make sense?

So, what you need to do is remove the plastic cover on the steering
column and check the all plugs to see if they're all tight. (Especially
the one going to the ignition switch.) Then if you feel like everything
was tight like it is soposed to be, then check the wires. Somewhere you
have a slightly loose wire that makes good contact until you have a
jarring bump.
HTH!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi