Re: Race springs?!?!

At 11:20 AM -0600 04/30/1997, Jay Docherty wrote:
>Are the neuspeed race spring for a rabbit the same for a mk1
>scirocco?

I believe so.  Umm, well, YES, the spring is the same.  I am not sure if
Nspeed makes two springs - one for each hat - but aside from the hat, the
springs are the same.  I forget which are in my car, I believe they are the
small hats.  I think I used to know which years used which hats (it is
something like old cars use big hats/new cars use small hats, with a simple
year split - maybe 80+ up?  something like that).  I'd just go to the
junkyard and get the right hats, the springs will be fine.  OR, you can do
what the zany Mark Bennett did - take a small hat spring, cut it to fit big
hats.  Worked fine.  He did'nt bounce off the road.  It is cool.  So, ummm,
fuzzy memory coming - I think Nspeed does make small/big springs.  Call
them and ask, but if it were me, I'd just get the right ones and be done
with it.  IMHO, of course.  If you buy them new, I think they are about $15
each.  I think, as before MB cut his, we went to the local VW recycler, he
wanted to charge us $20 each, huh?  C'mon.  Called the dealer, it was
cheaper to get it through VW, but VW needed to order them, we needed the
car, out came the cutoff wheel.  C'est fantastique.

Mannix