Re: Race springs?!?!

----------
> From: Jay Docherty <jdoc@postoffice.ptd.net>
> To: scirocco-l@privatei.com
> Subject: Race springs?!?!
> Date: Wednesday, April 30, 1997 10:20 AM
>
> Are the neuspeed race spring for a rabbit the same for a mk1
> scirocco?

YES!! They are the same for all A1's no matter 8v / 16v whatever body

> Here's the story to why I ask that question...
> Josh Clark bought neuspeed race springs for his 16v through the
> internet.  He said the guy that had them used em on a racing rabbit.
> A few days after he bought them Josh decided he didn't want em
> anymore.  He told me they would work fine on my mk1 scirocco so I
> bought them from him.
>
> Then they sat in my bedroom for about 4 months.
>
> Today I was working on the suspension on my mk1 project and I brought
> The old struts and the neuspeed race springs to a garage so they
> could swap em.  However the "hats" on the top of the old springs were
> much larger then the top of the race springs.  The garage called the
> dealer and found found out that the part number for the stock spings
> off a mk1 scirocco are different then that of a rabbit.
>
> The question is...  Did Josh give me springs that won't fit on my car
> OR did the guy that gave Josh the springs not give him the proper
> "hats" along with 'em.?

He gave him the right setup for his 16v it didnt need new hats since it is
a 80& up.
It's kinda strange that your 80 had BIG hats according to VW catalogs the
BIG hats stopped in 79 model year. But I have seen stranger things when it
comes to what is SUPPOSED to be on a certian model,year, ect. Heck even
shawns 82 had a BIG hat on one side (musta been the prev owner?????) That
got fixed real quick with the new springs. Try going to the dealer &
getting either rabbit spring hats #171-412-341-A or the A2 golf ones are a
little cheaper & work just the same # 191-412-341
Just don't confuse the parts guy by telling him you want golf parts for a
scirocco just give him the pt# (it may save you the "it's a different car
so it wont work" syndrome & save you some time. I have a bunch of used
ones if your interested.
Those springs are pretty stiff but it's worth it for the better handling ,
so have fun
C-YA
Potterman
80 Scirocco "S" (with race springs & koni's)