Re: Any personal opinions on K&N?

At 07:06 PM 4/29/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Just the other day I decided to play the Shadetree Mechanic, and I
>chopped some beautifully circular and symmetrical holes into the lower
>half of my airbox.  I don't know if it made much of a difference in
>acceleration (if it did, it's all in mi mind).  Although it does have a
>nice growl from 4000 up to the redline.  I am considering inserting a
>K&N filter into the box to help the flow a little more.	So, whaddya
>think?

Ive taken my dremmel and went psycho on the bottom end of my airbox. Now,
all that is there is the 3 little prongs that hold the airbox onto the car
and the part that holds the filter. Thats it.
It completely depends on what the outside air temp is. If its nice and cool,
you will feel a bit more power. If its a hot day, it will feel a bit
sluggish. I will take my other airbox I have and maybe do some slight mods
for the hotter days of summer, but so far, im thinking I may just leave it
stock and let the intake tube ive put on there do some ram air effect. Id
like to see what that does, if anything. As it is now, all it does is blow
some cool outside air into the K&N filter. So, at the moment, its not forced
"Ram" air or anything. It could be.

>Do K&N filters suck, or do they rock?

Rock!

>Why?

Because.

>Personal opinions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  You guys are great.
>jason brunberg
>87 16V (it doesn't suck.  it rocks!)

heh-heh, ebcause the filter allows a bit more air to flow into the intake
system. Paper filters can be somewhat restrictive and under the right
circumstances, can catch FIRE!  : )    (J/K)
The K&N is reusable and in the long run, saves you money. Figure $7 for an
air filter, thats 5 filters that it would cost to buy a K&N. Anything over
that, is where the savings starts.

>BTW, is there a limit to how many questions I can post?

Nope, but according to Kevin, anything over 3 questions you gotta pay me $5
for each question after that. So, you owe me..... $100? Ya, thats fair aint
it? Sure.......    :-P

HTH!

Shawn