Re: Follow up for Air filter caught on fire

At 10:51 AM 4/27/97 -0700, you wrote:
>So far I've come up with only two explanations for the fire 1) that
>something hot like a lit cigarette or a piece of hot metal off the
>engine was sucked into the intake and that's what caused the fire; or

Well, its possible but was there any evidence of a cig butt? (The fire was
not that thurough, so there should of been some evidence of that, unless,
you didnt really look thru the ashes...)
Even if a lit cig was sucked into the intake, the amount of airflow would
(Should) have extinguished it. One way I could see how it could ignite a
fire is if it was injested while driving, then stopping at a light or some
thing and it was able to build strenght, somehow. Still, in my mind, its
uncomprehensible.

>2) the fuel distributor leaked fuel down into the air filter housing.  But
>even a fuel leak would need something to ignite it.  At this point, I
>know I have to replace the entire air filter housing.

Right, there is plenty "consumable fuel" there, (paper, maybe raw gas, even
some blowby oil.) but there has to be a source of ignition to get the fire
going.
Hmm, im still skeptical on this one......

Shawn